WILLEMSTAD – Mr. Kevin Jonckheer, Chairman of the Supervisory Board of the Curacao Tourism Development Foundation (CTDF) and CEO of the Penha Duty Free Group, gave the symbolic starting shot for the official launch of the 6th edition of the KLM Curacao Marathon, in the presence of the press, partners and invited guests.
The occasion took place in front of the Iconic Penha Building, which also happens to be KLM Delft Blue miniature traditional Dutch house #85, issued at the 70th anniversary of the air link between Amsterdam and Curacao. Penha is also partner of the KLM Curacao Marathon since the 1st edition.
Kees van Muiswinkel, Chairman & Founder of Foundation Run in the Sun, enthusiastically explains Foundation Run in the Sun is founded in 2014 to enhance running, tourism and a healthier lifestyle in the Dutch Caribbean. “The KLM Curacao Marathon is organized on an international level and because of the different distances accessible for everybody. It is our primarily goal to make our running events an unforgettable lifetime experience.
During the last edition, runners of 33 countries traveled to Curacao with family and friends to enjoy their so called Run-cation. In total 2137 run tourists visited Curacao in the last week of November. At Hato Airport we set up the Start Bow and welcome our “guests” personally on the Wednesday and Thursday before the Race. It is our ambition to double these numbers in the next 5 years. We are listed on the major international running calendars and are very active on social media. We also like to thank our partners and sponsors for their support. To promote the KLM Curacao Marathon in the Netherlands we also organize the 3rd edition of the ‘KLM Scheveningen Curacao Beach Run’ at Scheveningen Beach on June 30th, 2019.”
Mr Kevin Jonckheer, president of the Curacao Tourist Development Foundation (CTDF) responded as follows: “We are very happy to see so many runners from all around the world in Curacao and we hope Foundation Run in the Sun will achieve their ambition to double the numbers. As Kees explained to me, the KLM Curacao Marathon is getting more and more popular and is on the Bucket list of many runners around the globe. Where in the world can you run across a pantoon bridge and do not forget the amazing Juliana Bridge. I wish the organization a lot of success and thank you for this fantastic event on the Island of Curacao.”
This 6th edition will take place on Sunday, November 24th, 2019. The Start & Finish location will be at Hilton Hotel, Curaçao.
- With 5 distances a suitable distance for everybody .
- Choice of 4 road races and a Trail
- The 5 and 10 KM is for runners and walkers
- Participation internationally and locally, man & woman and for young and old.
- Each participant receives a personal (bib) race number, online time registration, cotton event T-shirt, luxury medal, plenty of water stations including AA sport drink and fruit.
- Everyone who registers on time receives a race number with their own name
- Beautiful course along the tourist icons of Willemstad.
- Free App with ‘Live Track & Trace’. Family and friends can follow each participant.
- Free Certificate for each participant with name and distance
- Joint finish of all distances on the beach at Hilton Curacao followed by the Awards ceremony with prizes for the numbers 1 to 3 and an “After party on the Beach”
- Dry Fit Running shirt, Singlet Running Shirt, Pasta Party, Finish photo & video are optional.
In addition to ensuring a festive and sporting atmosphere, the safety of the participants and the public is of course the highest priority, according to Curd Evertsz (Head of the Safety & Emergency Team).
The organization prepares for growth to a maximum of 2,500 participants. This has to do with the guarantee of the safety of all participants and supporters along the course. And of course, with the purchase of medals, shirts, water, fruit and sports drinks. Kees van Muiswinkel states that the growth of both the number of international and local participants is expected. His advice is to register on time to avoid disappointments and to ensure that your own name is printed on the start number.
Registration has been opened. All participants can register via the website www.klmcuracaomarathon.com